WELCOME TO OUR NEW SITE: tomymostalas.wordpress.com

You'll be automatically taken there in a second.. Change your bookmarks, thanks!

Sunday 22 November 2015

PASSENGER OF SHIT - Passenger of Shit 7 (2011)

Review by: Syd Spence
Album assigned by: Franco Micale


This is hardcore. Well, one of the numerous variants that only anal retentive speed freaks care about.

This is House music and Hip Hop’s delinquent offspring. As the years rolled on, clubs and club music began increasing the tempo of that disco beat. The primary cause of increasing the tempo was of course the popularity of stimulant drugs and well, this is the end result. Manic, intense electronic BOOMBOOMBOOM BWAH. Music that is impossible to dance with a party with, but excellent for having a seizure to. To use rock terms, House music is the Beatles and this type of music is Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

That is the history? How about the music. Well, it’s fast, intense and fun. Passenger of Shit does the great hardcore trick of periodically breaking up the intense BOOBOBOOBBOBOpm with melodic slower bits that bring up video games and what have you. This makes the intense bits more fun. I will say the chief strike against this album is a bit of the periodic screamed vocals and the sophomoric humor. I mean sometimes it’s funny and absurd, but it quickly gets annoying. I mean screaming profanity can only get you so far.  

Overall, it’s good at what it does, but I’m gonna be honest here, I doubt I’ll ever put this on again. I’m getting to the point in my life where I’d rather have a developing interesting rhythm in my electronic music and not the machine gun BOOM BOOMs of hardcore. I have a feeling I would have loved this record in my youth and played the fuck out of it to annoy my square peers. So should you get this? Is your veins coursing with dopamine and testosterone? If the answer is yes! this album is great. As for me, I’m gonna put on some reggae.

No comments:

Post a Comment